MERCURY 20 GALLERY
475 25th Street
Oakland, CA 94612
Hours: Friday + Saturday 12-5pm. The gallery is 1200 sq. ft with ample room for safely-distanced viewing. Masks are mandatory inside the gallery.
To schedule a private walk-through of any exhibition, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Artwork is available for purchase at the gallery and online at mercurytwenty.com/shop
Thanks for your continued support!
Mercury 20 Gallery
Founded in 2006, Mercury 20 is a contemporary art gallery established, supported and operated by San Francisco Bay Area artists. Mercury 20 maintains a gallery space in Oakland, CA as well as an online sales platform. Our collective operating structure supports our ability to experiment, develop, exhibit and advance our work and to sustain our arts community.
Is the gallery open every day?
The gallery is open every Friday and Saturday from 12 noon to 5pm. We are closed on the following holidays: New Year’s Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.
What is the advantage of working with an artist-run gallery?
At an artist-run gallery you are in direct contact with the artists. You will get information and background about the work from the people who create it. You can begin and maintain a relationship with artists and their work. At Mercury 20, the artist receives 90% of the purchase price you pay and 10% goes to gallery maintenance.
Is the work in the gallery for sale?
All the work in the gallery is for sale unless specifically marked NFS (not for sale).
How can I buy it?
We accept cash, check or major credit card. You can come in anytime the gallery is open and someone will help you. We also have an online shop at shop.mercurytwenty.com with many items for sale from our artists.
Do I need an appointment?
You can come in to view the work and/or make a purchase during our posted hours or you can make an appointment. Contact us at email@example.com or 510.701.4620 to set up an appointment.
Can you offer help with the selection process?
We are happy to help with your art selection process. One of the great things about working with Mercury 20 Gallery is that you can get an artists’ perspective on the work and the selection process. It can be very helpful to bring measurements of your walls, photographs of the space where the work will be installed, floor plans, as well as examples of artists whose work you like.
Can I photograph artworks in the gallery?
You are welcome to photograph artworks. We can also provide you with images we have on file
Can I take an artwork home and try it out before buying it?
You may negotiate a short trial period with the artist. Some artists are amenable to that and some are not. Another helpful way to make the decision is to take a photo of the artwork and think about it overnight.
When can I take the piece I bought home with me?
Usually we ask buyers to wait until the six-week run of a show is over to pick up the work they have purchased. The artist or the gallery will make arrangements with you for pick up. Sometimes we have a “cash-and-carry” group show where you can take the work immediately.
Can I pay in installments?
Payment plans are available through the individual artist. You may be able to pay on time if the artist can accommodate it.
Are prices negotiable?
In general, the artists work very hard to price their work properly. However, sometimes the price may be negotiable. At Mercury 20 Gallery, pricing is at the discretion of the artist.
How do I get the artwork to my home or office?
Small pieces will be wrapped by the gallery and can usually be transported in a car. For larger pieces, you can arrange with the artist for transportation for an additional charge. The artist may be available to install the work at your home or office for an additional charge as well. You can also have a professional art handler transport and install the artwork.
Do you offer framing services?
Artworks in our inventory may come framed or unframed and are priced accordingly. We can recommend framers to you if you are interested.
Call for Artists
Founded in 2006, Mercury 20 is a contemporary art gallery established, supported and operated by San Francisco Bay Area artists. Mercury 20 maintains a venue for artists to exhibit, develop, and advance their work and is committed to exhibiting art of diverse media and content. Exhibitions rotate every six weeks.
The Benefits of Membership
- Members will show their work in the Uptown Arts District in Oakland, CA.
- Members will have the opportunity to sell their work live in the gallery and in the gallery’s online Shop.
- By participating in all aspects of running the gallery, members gain an increased level of professional development based on their own interests and motivation. Members initiate and/or choose the gallery projects they wish to explore including planning and participating in exhibitions, maintaining the gallery, hanging shows, publicity and promotions, etc.
- Members will be part of a vibrant, supportive community of artists in the East Bay.
Responsibilities of Membership
- Members are asked to make a minimum one year commitment.
- Pay monthly dues with all money going toward rent, supplies and operating costs.
- Gallery-sit each month..
- Attend a group meeting which meets once a month. At this meeting, we discuss issues, concerns, projects and make decisions by a consensus process.
- Members are encouraged to bring new ideas, develop existing plans, and inspire the direction Mercury 20 takes. Members are expected to be active on committees as needed.
Mercury 20 seeks innovative, self-directed members who will be active in gallery operations, events and projects. We are looking for residents of the San Francisco Bay Area. If you are interested in being considered for membership, please send us an email including:
- 6 images of recent work (Website link or jpegs)
- List of images with title, size, medium and year
- Art resume
- Letter of interest with contact info. If you have experience as a curator, with exhibitions, art writing, carpentry, grant writing, etc. please give details.
Email materials to: firstname.lastname@example.org